From queue to scanning QR codes
By Dr. Sajad Hussein Kamarally
I still remember the queue.
The Telecom counter. Twelve noon. The sun was blazing. Queue number 47 in my hand.
Forty minutes later, I was still standing there—sweating, shifting from one foot to the other, listening to the old ceiling fan go...
"Krek... krek... krek..."
Finally, my number was called.
With relief, I handed over my bill and cash.
The clerk looked at me apologetically.
"Sorry, sir... the machine is down. Please come back tomorrow."
I just stood there.
Back then, telephone bills could only be paid at the telephone company's counter. There were no banking apps, no online payments, no QR codes. If the machine broke down, you simply went home and came back another day.
We hated it.
We complained.
We thought the system was terribly slow.
But looking back, do you know what those long queues gave us?
Conversation.
"How much is your bill this month?"
"Electricity has gone up again!"
"Your son made it to university?"
"Long time no see!"
The queue moved slowly, but the sense of community moved quickly.
Paying a bill was a physical experience. You felt the RM10 or RM50 leave your hand. You received a small receipt and tucked it safely into your wallet as proof that everything was settled.
Today?
I take out my phone.
A few taps.
Scan a QR code.
Done.
No queue.
No conversation.
No strangers becoming familiar faces.
Technology has made life wonderfully convenient. I appreciate it as much as anyone. It saves time, fuel, and countless trips.
But somewhere along the way, we quietly lost something precious.
We lost those small, ordinary moments that brought people together.
In the past, we got to know people because we had to wait together.
Today, we hardly have to wait for anyone.
I'm not suggesting we go back to standing in long queues.
And I certainly don't miss those machines that always seemed to break down!
But I do miss something far more valuable than the old way of paying bills.
I miss the smile from a stranger.
I miss the brief conversations that brightened an ordinary day.
I miss the simple sense of community that once made everyday life a little warmer.
Technology has made our transactions faster.
I only hope it doesn't make our human connections disappear just as quickly.
Perhaps what we really miss is not the queue itself, but the people we met while waiting in it.
Comments
Post a Comment